Florida Bright Future Scholarship
The Florida Bright Futures Scholarship Program awards scholarships to any Florida high school graduate who merits recognition of high academic achievement and who enrolls in an eligible Florida public or private post-secondary educational institution within three years of high school graduation. There are three Florida Bright Futures Scholarships: Florida Academic Scholarship, Florida Medallion Scholarship, and the Vocational Gold Seal Scholarship. Students can only qualify for one scholarship and must meet certain requirements. In early Dec. SCS seniors will register during their Senior Capstone class for evaluation of their qualifying status for Bright Futures scholarship monies.
The general requirements are:
- Florida residency
- Standard high school diploma
- Accepted and enrolled in an eligible Florida public/private post-secondary school
- Enroll as a degree or certificate seeking student at an eligible post-secondary institution after high school graduation
- Enroll for a minimum of six non-remedial semester hours (or the equivalent in quarter hours) per term.
- Not have been found guilty of a felony
- Applied for the scholarship before graduation
- Meet the core course requirements for Florida Bright Futures
For more information regarding Bright Futures academic requirements, and GPA requirements, please visit the website at www.floridastudentfinancialaid.org. The requirements for the Florida Bright Futures Scholarship program are subject to change at any time.
National Merit Scholarship
Each SCS junior student will take the PSAT test in October. This standardized test is a practice for the SAT and gives students a qualifying chance to enter the National Merit Scholarship Competition based on their PSAT score.
Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
By October 1st seniors need their family to submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). This application for financial assistance will allow the schools to which you’re accepted to determine a complete awards package to offer you based on your expected family contribution and any academic or merit based scholarships applied to the total costs. States disperse aid according to their state deadlines and so time is of the essence to complete the FAFSA. See the government’s website for financial aid for higher education for help with understanding and completing the FAFSA.